This question has been asked so many times, and many people say that it is. But I want to see if it’s true and hope that by the end of this project I will be able to answer it.
First of all, I am going to show you some statistics:
- Over 40% of physical abuse victims are men, but more than 90% percent of shelters for victims of this violence are only for women.
- Men’s cancers receive 15 times less funding than women’s.
- 77% of homicide victims and 80% of suicide victims are men. Men make up 81% of war deaths.
Fathers don’t usually get the custody of the children, mothers do. I can understand that it is thought that the mother can be better at it, as it comes out of her, but a man can do it as good, or better.
Men also get longer prison sentences than women for the same crime, this is highly unfair and sexist. Just because they are men doesn’t mean they have to be in go jail for a longer time than women.
I am not sure that this would be a clear example of sexism in society but men die in their work more than women. If you have seen a feminist protest demanding the same jobs than men, they always ask for “normal” jobs. You never see them asking for tougher jobs like mining or constructing, Because, let’s be honest, who wants to do that? Nobody, that is why they leave the men do all the dangerous and hard work.
And if we stay in this branch, there are more homeless men than women. There are no laws that say that women are protected from homelessness but that is exactly what happens. Because most of the homeless women have kids with them, so the social security helps them.
After all this, now it is time for women. Are we being discriminated?
Let’s start from the beginning of times, women have always been discriminated. I know this didn’t happen in the United Stated but anyway, in the bible when Eve comes out of Adam’s rib like if she was a part of him, making her inferior.
Women get paid less (About 77 cents on a dollar that a man makes) and they usually don’t get to some job positions that men do. Like for example in the military, women are banned from getting to some high positions that men can or to fly as pilots. Also men can play american football as a profession, whether women don’t have any professional leagues
Let’s add to the list that, in all the history of the United States, there has never been a female president.
On another hand, women are often objectified and treated like objects in ads, movies, TV series; basically everywhere.
Then there are stereotypes, like this ones:
- Little girls like pink and dolls and boys like blue or red and sports or cars.
- Women are fragile and sensitive and men are tough and can’t feel emotions.
- Men shouldn’t be more “delicate” professions like fashion designers and women can’t be more “rough” professions like builders.
- Liking fashion makes men “un-manly”.
- Women stay home and take care of the children.
My conclusion is that both women and men are victims of sexism. We all are. We are objects of sexism since we are little and, even tho there have been advances, there still is a lot of work to do. The day that men and women are treated with justice is the day that we will be able to say that we live in an advanced society.